Kiki Interiors - Decor and Staging

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Help me - organize my...closet!!

If you are anything like me (a busy working mom of three young children, a husband, two dogs, 5 fish and always being pulled in any number of different directions) organization isn't something I have a lot of time for but certainly aspire to have in my life.  We have all heard how an organized life reduces stress and helps keep life easy and on schedule (because you aren't running around looking for the kids' sunscreen before racing off to the park for some fun!)  If you are like me, you need some easy steps and solutions to organize your own closet.  I hate the feeling of knowing what I want to wear but cannot find it - is it hanging? folded? in the laundry hamper? or on the floor? EEK.....getting dressed shouldn't be this complicated.

So here are some quick and easy tips I plan on using myself to get my closet organized and user friendly.



1.  Empty out the entire closet (just like in 'TLC's What Not to Wear').  that way you can start with a clean slate - it's a big and a bit of a draining job but you will feel good afterwards.

2.  Go through every piece, one at a time.  If you haven't worn it in 6 months to a year - TOSS (DONATE).  If it needs hemming or repair, evaluate if it is worth it and if it is, SET IT ASIDE and GET IT DONE. Getting all your hemming at repairs done at once is best especially if you don't have a lot of time to spare.  If you know you won't wear it, TOSS (DONATE).  If you love or like it and it fits (I means fits and is flattering) then KEEP.  It is amazing how much we hold onto that we don't use or need. Try not to hold onto pieces that you plan on fitting into.  As a new mom, I still have a lot of baby weight to lose, so I have set my pre-baby body clothes aside but they are not at the front end of my closet taking up prime real estate. as for donating clothing - there are many local charities and consignment shops that will take clothing donations.

3.  Organize your actual closet space.  Unless you have a custom designed closet, you likely have a rod and that's it.  So add some drawer space at the bottom of the closet area, I personally find that tends to be a catch all space for just about anything.  I like using clear plastic drawer sets inside of my closet - you can label them or just see through them.  These plastic drawer sets are great for shoes, belts, scarves, handbags etc...I put dressers in my children's closets since their little size clothing doesn't take up much closet space, putting the drawers inside the closet give them more play space in their room too. Get some good quality wood hangers too, to hang your suits, shirts and dresses.  The wood hangers allow those clothing pieces to hang better.



4. Now it's time to start actually organizing. Keep the prime closet space for the items you wear most.

5.  I like to keep everything together - such as pants together, shirts together, jackets together etc...

6.  It is best to fold sweaters and not hang them.  They tend to stretch and pull when hung.

7.  If you are low on storage for seasonal items like blankets, use your luggage to store these items. Empty luggage takes up a lot of space, so use them to keep blankets clean and easy to find when you need them.

8.  Think outside of the box too.  Yes, there are a lot of storage and organization solutions out there but there are other great ideas too such as the EXPEDIT bookcase line at IKEA.  This is a great and inexpensive bookcase that's easy to assemble, it comes in many colours and is a great way to store bags, shoes, sweaters etc...all in one piece.  Try an umbrella stand to store yoga mats.  Multi-level cake stands are great to keep costume jewelry organized too.



9.  Add some light in your closet.  Just like any room, a closet will benefit from some better lighting too.  You an see what you are looking for.

10.  Keep it regular.  Meaning getting and staying organized takes time so make it a regular part of your day.  Hang up your shirts and fold your sweaters - over time it will become automatic.  It's also a good idea to regularly purge your closet, some say every season but I think in most cases once or twice a year is more realistic.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://kikiinteriors.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service