Kiki Interiors - Decor and Staging

Monday, May 25, 2015

Why I love my job....one year later



One Year Later….. A reflection post-grad by Maddie Clarke

This time last year I was ready to graduate and get started on my career. It was such an exciting transition from decorating student to an interior decorator with a fabulous company, KIKI Interiors. My first day consisted of helping new clients design their dream home by choosing the finishes. I can remember how excited I was for that first project and wondering if everyday would be like this…. To my surprise, it is. I’m excited by my job every single day, and that’s a pretty cool feeling.

 


Every single day has been different. I’ve had the opportunity to experience so many different projects, clients, and situations, I never expected to have such a wide range of work and learn so much. Everyday I go to work, I am experiencing something different which furthers my knowledge. And I’m very grateful for that.

 We loved mixing both colour, styles and textures in this space - the aqua, the tangerine, the prints and graphics and the wood, brick and glass all work together to create a perfect balance in this condo space


Working as a decorator has taught me so many things in such a short time. No one teaches you how to deal with difficult clients, how to handle situations that have gone terribly awry, or how hard it is to build furniture for a model. (I can’t remember ever being so emotional over a chair.) These are life experiences I will carry with me and be able to apply to my everyday life,
The various projects and clients I’ve been involved with is quite a wide range. 

 

I was fortunate to be able to do a lot of new things in a short period of time. 

Last November, we had the opportunity to style a photo shoot and stage the background for a new product campaign, I worked with so many different clients and their different styles (some wackier than others), I was involved in furnishing a model condo, staging and de-staging homes, advising clients on how to prep their home for the real estate market, as well as learning about blogging, updating pages and the importance of having a strong social media presence. I worked on my first commercial space and reaped the benefits of a blank canvas. I’ve learned that the best feeling in the world is seeing something you’ve worked so hard on come together in a beautiful space. Having a client LOVE what you’ve helped them to achieve in their home is so rewarding. I’ve learned to deal with suppliers who aren’t as organized as me, when it’s time to be “ruthless” and when to take a step back. 

 yes, you can having a real dining space in a smaller condo.  Just consider scale, size and placement - don't be afraid to get creative

I’ve learned that not everyone is rational and often tensions can run high. I’ve learned that “not today” is a phrase Kristi and I toss around quite often when we get frustrated, and when its time for us to just sit back and laugh at this crazy job. I’ve also learned how good a glass of wine can be after a bizarre day. (and those days do happen!) I have been lucky to experience working with someone you truly have a great time with. Enjoying the company that your in is a wonderful and rewarding way to spend your days.. I'm lucky to work with people who are like-minded and so much fun!!

 finding the right mix of accessories that won't compete with the product is incredibly important

This is the most fun career I could ever imagine doing. This year has been a lot of things, boring is not one of them.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://kikiinteriors.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service